Friday, August 15, 2008

DC Comedy Festival


I took part in the DC Comedy Festival last week. This was my 3rd year performing at the Festival and I've definitely noticed it evolve and grow since the beginning. I also must admit I've read the local blogs and comments about the Festival and found some of them to be quite entertaining. There definitely was some drama surrounding this year's festival and many different opinions surrounding the organizer's selection of comics. If you're reading this blog chances are you already aware of them so I'm not going to elaborate too much. Basically, many felt that there weren't enough DC comedians represented at the DC Comedy Festival.

I was fortunate enough to be part of the District of Comedy show featuring all local comedians and I've never been prouder of the DC comedy scene. Both shows were rock solid top to bottom. All the comics were professional, funny, and entertaining - I could tell because the audiences were laughing and saying things like, "this is really funny and entertaining." or something like that....

I also watched the Industry Showcase and the Super Alt shows. Some of the comics I really enjoyed and some I really didn't. Were they good shows? No. Were they bad shows? No. Were they awkward? Yes. Of course this is my opinion but this is also my blog where I tend to share my opinions. Watching some of the comedians struggle on the Industry Showcase didn't bother me one bit. In fact, I've never felt better about my own comedy. These comics all had way better credits than I have but after watching some of their sets, I've never felt more confident in my own abilities as a comedian.

Would I have liked to see some more DC comics on the Industry Showcase? Absolutely. But, at the end of the day only one person makes these decisions and that's the organizer. If I put up the money for a project, you better believe I make the final decisions. In addition, as long as the organizer is being honest with all the performers and those who submitted to the Festival, she must only answer to herself. Was she honest with all those people? I wouldn't know.

Was the Festival a success? Again, I wouldn't know. The only metric to measure this success is the audience. Check back next year to see if it was....

No comments: