Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Weekend Recap


Well, I finished up shows at the Comedy Factory this weekend and have to say they were fantastic. We had seven great shows and I had an incredible time hanging out with Justin and Kojo, as well as many other close friends who dropped by the club. Kojo did a great job MCing and Justin did what Justin does...destroy.

Justin has written some really nice things about me in the past and just wrote some of the kindest words anyone has ever said about me on his website. I am humbled by the things he says, not just because they are flattering, but because it's HIM saying these things. I have an enormous amount of respect for him and he has been a measuring stick not just for me but for many other local comedians - you will find no better performer. In less than two years of comedy, he sold out the Factory three times over the weekend - unbelievable! I watched him wreck the Factory seven shows in a row and I assure you he left nothing in the tank. He gave the audience everything he had for each show and they showed their appreciation by giving him standing ovation after standing ovation. I felt fortunate just to be able to watch and learn from him this weekend because I truly believe he will be moving on with his comedy career in the near future. Thank you Justin.

Next, Kojo Mante or Montana depending on the DJ, was great as the MC all weekend. He was fun, engaging, and warmed up the crowd beautifully. Most importantly, he enjoyed himself on stage. Sometimes I watch comedians and wonder if they even want to be on the mic. Nothing is better than watching a comedian having fun on stage. When you do that, you endear yourself to the audience - audiences can be like children sometimes, you may not think they are paying attention but they're like sponges. They pick up on all the little things and they can usually tell if you are being geniune. Kojo had a blast on stage all weekend and he was a joy to watch.

The best part of the weekend though, was seeing so many friends from the DC/VA/Baltimore community coming out to the shows to support the comedy scene. I saw Rob Maher, Jessica Paquin, The fabulous Bird Knight, Andy Kline, Sean Gabbert, Steve Drumm, Joe Robinson, Lawrence Owens, Larry Lancaster, Ayanna Dookie, and my boys Jay Hastings and Scoverson along with improv extrordonaire Jordan Bo-rum. It's great to see all the support and perform in front of your peers knowing they are rooting for you.

Moving on, tonight is the DC Improv Showcase Finals and I will be performing along with some other great comics. I'm really excited for this show because if it's anything like last year, the energy will be outstanding. I'll be honest, I really have not thought about this contest very much until yesterday. It would be great to win but I'll go into the contest with no expectations. All I care about at this point is having fun and being proud of my performance. As long as Joe Robinson doesn't win, I'll be happy.

Update: I have Dave Attell tickets. I have never seen him live but I expect him to blow my mind. This is called excitement and anticipation.

I think that's going to be it...I was kidding about Joe Robinson but not really.

Seriously, I like Joe Robinson and his wife...and his kids who I've never met. I'm joking about him not winning but still serious at the same time.

Just to clarify, his brother looks like John Denver, as I've mentioned before. He's great...he just can't win because I don't feel like severing my Achilles tendon which is what I'll do if he does.

I really hope Joe does well but that's not true cause I'm lying and I lie a lot and stuff.

www.joerobinson.com Don't look at his website, it only encourages him.

No comments: