Last Wednesday, Joe Robinson invited me to accompany him to 98 Rock to plug his CD release party - this was a nice gesture. We had a blast. Mickey and Amelia are both super cool, funny, and darn good at their jobs...yes, I said darn good. Scott "the producer" has a big schnoz, is a good sport, and is also good people. No one ever calls him just Scott, it's always Scott "the producer" so I will follow suit. Maybe his last name is actually "Theproducer" - that would be strange. Joe and I sang a song about him, scheck it out http://www.98online.com/photos/mickey_amelia/Index%20PIcs/Nose%20Songs/Joe%20Robinson-Shnoz%20Song.mp3
Justin Schlegel came into the studio later in the day and it was a party. I found a new respect for DJ's after Wednesday. It's really hard to keep the show going for 4 hours. A 2 second pause on air sounds like a minute when you are listening in your car. Mickey and Emelia have great chemistry and are really good at maintaining the pace of the show.
Joe's CD release party was on Sunday night at the Baltimore Comedy Factory and was very well attended. We all took turns taking good natured jabs at Joe and the crowd soaked it up. He was a great sport and closed the show with a bang.
Joe Robinson is a lot of people; former embezzler, one time used car salesman, stand-up comic...good square dancer. One thing he is not is pretentious. I like Joe. When you talk to him, you know you are getting the truth. He may be brutally honest but I find it refreshing. He'll be the first person to self-depricate and I've heard him refer to himself as; "obnoxious," "arrogant," and "overly-opinionated." Joe is all of these things; he's also one of the most generous, geniune, and interesting people you will meet...he's also a great comic.
I encourage young comics to take advice from Joe. He'll give you a liberal dose of honesty and insight while complimenting you on what he liked and what he didn't like about your set. What do you really want from someone, a compliment they didn't really mean or the truth?
Ex. A few months ago, after watching one of my sets, Joe told me I changed the ending to one of my jokes and informed me that he didn't like it. He told me it wasn't "me" and that it was better the old way. The joke did really well that night so I figured I'd just stick with the new ending. Last night, I watched the tape of that show for the first time and I saw what Joe saw. He was right, it wasn't me.
I'm done buttering Joe's eggnog colored ass but I will encourage you to check him out this weekend at the Baltimore Comedy Factory. He'll be the same Joe Robinson you knew 20 years ago and the same Joe Robinson you just met at Dremos open mic night last week...he'll also be hilarious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Go fuck yourself.
Ha! Now that is vintage Joe Robinson.
Post a Comment