Monday, October 22, 2007

Improv with Todd Glass



Last week I worked with Todd Glass and Dave Seigel at the DC Improv. I couldn't have worked with two better dudes at a better club. Not only are they both great comics but great guys to hang out with off stage. Guys like that are the reason I do comedy.

All the shows went well but I really liked the late shows on Friday and Saturday. I'm always amazed at how well behaved the Improv crowds are. I do my share of bar shows and am used to somewhat rowdy clubs so a little Friday late show chatter does not phase me. But, the Improv crowds are so polite and respectful...if I could perform in front of crowds like that all the time I would be so spoiled.

One thing I learned from Todd is that silliness is always fun. I don't know how old Todd Glass is but I'm pretty sure he's got a few years on me. Yet he is not afraid to be silly and he doesn't care about how people perceive him; he just wants to have fun. He is always playing; from the time he walks into the club until the time he walks out, he is just a big kid. I love that.

Points of interest:

- A woman came up to me after the Saturday late show and was just about to tell me how hilarious I was until this gem came flying out of her mouth, "Oh you're the first guy...I didn't realize you were that short."

Ok, I realize I'm not very tall but come on! I'm 5'10...5'10 1/2" in the morning. Simply irresponsible.

- A man came to the Sunday night show and waited until everyone had left to tell Todd that he was sent to the Improv to give Todd a message from a higher power. The message, "You have high blood pressure, you are overweight, and you need to see a doctor. Nice guy. Somehow I got roped into a conversation with him where he informed me he was a prophet, much like Elijah from the Old Testament of the Bible. He then went on to tell me he was beyond Christianity and on the same level as Ghandi.

Ghandi wasn't a christian? A prophet who is beyond Christianity? Just a tad contradictory; kind of like Lance Armstrong delivering a message to a spin class on behalf of Richard Simmons. He was also irresponsible...and scary.

Speaking of irresponsible, if you heard me on irresponsible radio this week with Joe and Theo, you probably noticed I was a bit hyper. Apparently, I was completely incoherent, obnoxious, and rowdy. I was not aware of this at the time but it was brought to my attention by my loving wife. Expect a more subdued Jon Mumma next time.














No comments: