Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Hot Blooded

I had a great weekend at home with my family and friends and would like to thank everyone who came out to watch my shows at the Villa East Comedy Club. I was blessed to see so many friends at the show and I hope I entertained you.

On Friday, I went canoeing/fishing with my dad and brother. Predictably, about 30 minutes into the trip, our canoe capsized and my dad and I fell into the river. That happens every time we do one of these trips because I am poor at canoeing and my father is a portly gentleman of impressive girth. We survived with only one lost t-shirt and a few soggy sandwiches. Canoeing and fishing all day might sound boring to some but to me, doing it with my bro and pops is a little slice of heaven. That sounded sappy and gay and was intended to be that way. That last sentence rhymes.

My Friday show and Saturday late shows went really well. My Saturday early show was rather lackluster; fortunately, my parents were there to watch me be average. Sunday night was empty and I failed to entertain the crowd. They smiled a lot though...apparently; my act isn't worth audible sound. On the whole, I'd call my weekend a Juan Samuel, circa 1989; there were some strikeouts but I threw in a few fireworks. I also rocked a jerry curl and wore one batting glove on my left hand and had very vascular forearms. Danny Rouhier is the only person who understands what I'm talking about right now.

I bombed at Dremos on Wednesday night.

Last night, Hay Jaystings and myself performed at a bachelorette party - I know what you're thinking and yes, Jaystings took his clothes off. Let me explain; We were told the groom was in seminary and the bride was a youth group counselor. Knowing this, we planned on keeping the show completely clean. Upon arrival, the first person we met was the bride's brother. The first words out of his mouth were, "you guys gotta do a strip tease!" Ok brother, way to go zero to awkward in about 3 seconds. He was actually a really cool guy and we were both glad to do it. What better ice breaker than to strip in front of complete strangers...in there backyard...as they sit on lawn chairs...next to an above ground swimming? We were introduced as "the entertainment" and everyone took their seat. We strutted onto the brick patio as Foreigner's "hot blooded" blared from the stereo. Next we took off our shirts and unveiled are less then impressive bodies; mine, pasty white and ridiculously hairy. Jay's...take a look at the picture in my previous blog. We danced for her as she buried her face in a Zima and refused to look at us. Someone from the audience yelled, "Chris Farley!!" We threw our clothes back on before too much was revealed and informed everyone we were comedians. The look on the bride's face was one of complete relief. We started the show with some stand-up and ended with some group improv. Everyone was super cool and Jay and I had a blast. Honestly, I would have just stuck around and hung out with these people all night...they were THAT fun.

I haven't been having that much fun on stage lately though...I'm not sure what the problem is? I'm tired of my jokes and I think it's starting to show in my performance. I need knew jokes, people! I've been writing like crazy but I just can't get comfortable with any of my new stuff and the reason is because it's terrible. I'm at the Laughing Lizard Saturday night. Come on out and let's try to turn this thing around

No comments: