Great shows...my best week at the Factory ever. As predicted, T-Rexx crushed. He told me before the Thursday night show that he hadn't been onstage in weeks, no one could tell. Todd Rexx commands the stage, when he grabs the mic, the room is his. One thing I learned from him is to take full advantage of situations. What I mean is once you find something the audience likes, whether it be a piece of crowd work or a joke they particularly enjoy, stay on it. Todd will ring the joke of every last laugh and then...10 minutes later, he'll move on to more gold. This of course takes some improv skills but nevertheless, he wastes no opportunities. www.myspace.com/rexxtacy Get educated!
Jump ahead to this past weekend. I performed at the Arlington Cinema Drafthouse with comedy buddies; Joe Robinson, Rob Maher, Danny Rouhier, and Seaton Smith. Here are the compliments;
Rob Maher - We drew numbers to determine the order, Rob got #1. Very tough spot, especially since their was no intro or music and he went up completely cold. Rob is a veteran. Rob is funny. Rob is awesome. He's the best emcee I have ever seen. He's got headliner chops but is as humble as a 1st year comic. Great dude.
Joe Robinson - Took the stage and immediately began to pummel the crowd. He amazes me every time I see him. He gets away with more stuff onstage than anyone I've ever seen. He's good at all the things I'm not; speaking, making sense, reasoning skills, math.
Danny Rouhier - I missed half his set because I was going over my own set in the lobby. When I walked back into the theatre, he was crushing. I'm pretty sure his entire set was like that. Danny has a real likability onstage that audiences respond to and this audience loved him...as well they should have.
Seaton Smith - Closed the show and probably had the best set of the night. I don't think I've ever seen a more consistent performer. He always does well. He's got great energy, great stage presence...great set.
Saturday night I performed with Jay Hastings and Ryan Conner at a Wine Tasting. This show had the makings of a hot mess but somehow it worked out. I'm not going to say I crushed but some audience members appeared to enjoy themselves and I'm going to chalk it up as a win. In UFC terms, it was an 3-round split decision.
The show started out rocky. Jay was introduced by the event planner but since the mic wasn't working, no one heard it. But, it didn't matter, Jay was a champion this night. He refused the mic and instead began yelling across the room. People were scared...but, they listened. By the end of Jay's set, the mic began working again and I took the stage with good intentions. At minute 10, I had burned through 20 minutes of material and had yet to get a belly laugh. I acknowledged this which seemed to relieve the audience. Apparently, they weren't sure if I knew I wasn't doing well...I knew. Just then, some lady in the back yelled, "take it off!" I was a bit shocked because we were at a "wine tasting" but to be honest, I was just happy to know someone was paying attention to me. So...I obliged. And, performed the next 15 minutes with no shirt on...very classy. Let me say this readers, their are few things more awkward than telling jokes at a wine tasting while shirtless. Somehow it worked and the crowd got into the show. I even had a lady walk up to the stage a stuff a dollar in my belt. I didn't feel cheap...but I probably should have. Conner went up next and had a very solid set...I'll call it impressive.
After Ryan's set, their was an intermission and we all went back up for the second half of the show. Jay did fine, I kept my clothes on, and Ryan closed it out. Disaster averted.
It wasn't my proudest night of comedy but I got through high schools with C's...I'll call this night a 73. I shouldn't brag like this...
No comments:
Post a Comment