Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Let's Discuss

I just got done watching this video for 45 minutes straight. Amazing. I will now break down the reasons why this is the greatest music video ever made:

- Steve Perry's commitment. He never breaks, he believes in everything he's doing. He never stops believing. No pun intended.

- Air keyboard guy. Air keyboard is one of the most difficult air instruments to play. This guy makes it look easy.

- Steve Perry's hand motions. On three separate occasions, Steve Perry acts out the line, "break those chains that bind you," by grabbing his wrist like an NFL referee signaling a holding penalty. Brilliant.

-The girl in the video is so focused. I'm not sure why she is aimlessly walking through a stockyard but I love it.

- The drummer. Notice how he uses the old school grip with his left hand.

- Watch closely when Steve Perry begins singing the line, "promises we made were in vain..." He starts out standing against the yellow wall and then quickly attacks the camera. Total commitment!

-Close up of Steve Parry's mouth. You don't see this much anymore. Very rare.

-Profile of woman. I love the shot of the woman's profile and then members of the band will pop out from behind her and sing.

- Band turns in unison to face the camera. Ok, this is the best part of the video. I watched it probably 35 times in a row and laughed each time. You know what I'm talking about.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, lets discuss this glorious piece of Rock history. I watched the video once and laughed hysterically. I watched it again and took some notes. Enjoy...
1)First impression is the setting. They're at a shipyard. I can't think of a tougher setting.
2)The Steve Perry mullet. If you say "Steve Perry Mullet," everyone knows what you mean. That is the impact that this man had.
3)The air instruments. What happened? Everyone showed up for the second day of shooting without their instruments and the director goes "where are your instruments? Oh well, now everyone except the singer will just look ridiculous... wait, nevermind"
4)The rolled up suit jacket sleeves of the keyboard player... classic
5)Would you let your child within 50 feet of the drummer? I wouldn't
6)All of the sudden the keyboard is on the wall. Journey doesn't just defy gravity, they tilt it 90 degrees.
7)I never knew that John Holmes played bass for Journey.
8)We finally get a good look at the object of Journey's passionate desires... and she is TOUGH. I would be dollars to donuts that she could destroy each and every band member in an arm wrestling match.
9)at 2:20, Steve Perry is backing up through some rusty shipping containers as he wails. Then he looks behind to see where he is walking. Safety first with these guys. No love is worth a tetanus shot.
10)3:07 "Oil Drums are the new sound of Journeys Rhythm section"
11)Finally, at 3:10, John Holmes gets the most 80's bass of all time. Nobody has used that bass since.

As ridiculous as these guys are, I find myself turning the volume up to 11, pumping my fist out of the car window every time they come on. I'm not sure that you could write catchier songs.

sharon said...

I wish I could observe Steve Perry's hand motions, but I can't seem to look at anything but his camel toe!

Jon Mumma said...

Nicely done Justin, Adam, and Sharon - I agree with you on all points. I truly believe that the keys to the video are again, Steve Perry's commitment and perhaps most important, the keyboard player. He adds so much; the rolled up sleaves, the clawing tiger act out,and of course the "Screw gravity" I had 3 wine coolers before the shoot, 67 degree tilt. My next blog will be dedicated to him and him alone as I delve into the mystery that is ...Jonathan Cain.