I just picked up this pamphlet at my work's nurses station; it talks about the dangers and risks of using cocaine. It outlines the physical harm cocaine can cause a person's body as well as the social and legal ramifications of using the drug. I often browse through pamphlets such as these not just out of curiosity but also for learning purposes. Personally, I choose to be drug free...unless you consider bacon a drug, in which case I am an addict. Anywho, I was learning about the risks associated with cocaine:- destroys personal relationships
- creates serious legal problems
- drains bank accounts
- can ruin careers
- threatens health
- may claim your life
While I agree with all of these and enjoyed the information, I feel as though the illustration on the cover is misleading. If you study the picture, you will clearly see that if you take cocaine, you will become very cold and a lighting bolt will strike the earth causing it to split into two pieces. I'm confused by this; I've never heard of this happening from cocaine use. If it did, I think there would be non-cocaine users who would be eager to try the drug simply because they are curious as to whether the earth really will split into two pieces and they will grow cold and shiver. I think we're sending the wrong message here; some people who are surly and unhappy with life may try the drug because they would like to see the earth split into two pieces just so they would then only have to hang out with half of the earth inhabitants.
Honestly, I believe in my heart that this is just a poor illustration. Still, I think we need to QC these brochures before they reach the public; come on Channing L. Bete Co., Inc...you're better than that.
No comments:
Post a Comment