Thursday, March 30, 2006

You complete me


Wow! what a night...I just got back from the Brian Regan show at the Hippodrome and I was blown away. Regan dropped a funny bomb on Baltimore - one they will not soon forget. This was the 4th time I'd seen him live; I own both his CD and DVD as well as his comedy central half hour special. Still, I would say 60% of his jokes were brand new to me and he did an hour and a half! Amazing. How do you cultivate that much material...all of it gold? the answer: raw talent and 25 years devoted to the craft. the guy is incredible and I guarantee you there are 2,000 people in Baltimore who will back me on that.

The best part of the night was that I actually got to meet Brian! As mentioned in my previous blog, my pal Justin Schlegel is really cool and knows people. He got us hooked up and we were able to talk to Brian after the show. To my delight, Brian is exactly what I thought he would be; one of the nicest, most gracious individuals I have ever met...he's also pretty tall. He told Justin and I that he started performing comedy in 1981 and didn't hit the road until after 2 1/2 years of honing his act. After 3 years on the road, he moved to New York and soon after became the legend we know today.

So many times, I grow too impatient. Rather than focus on working harder at cultivating my act, I continually monitor my progress and grow restless. I need to remind myself that I do this because it's fun and I enjoy it. I am still learning what makes me funny on stage, how I should present material, how to connect with an audience...This is not a race, it's a journey and I need to enjoy it and remember why I started in the first place.

After tonight, I've never been so sure about what I want to do with my life. I want to make people laugh. When I think about it, that's all I've ever wanted.

No comments: